Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Post- Trip Debriefings

Debriefing triggers the reentry process. Reentry is both an end and a beginning. • an end to a foreign experience, but the beginning of feeling foreign • an end of a trip, but the beginning of another journey • an end to being/feeling special, but the beginning of being ordinary with a special heart for God and for the people of the Dominican Republic • an end to being stared at, but the beginning of looking at people and the world through different eyes • an end to simple living, but the beginning of a different lifestyle • an end to crowded housing, but the beginning of having more space for God and for people • an end to eating foreign food, but the beginning of friendships with International students, immigrants, refugee’s and ethnic minorities EXERCISE 1 FOR RETURNING SHORT TERMERS Complete the following sentences. Jean Durgin - www.JeanSoldMyHouse.com LEAVING 1. When I think of leaving, I feel . . . excited to see my husband and daughter Sheri again. 2. My experience here has been . . . awesome, more than I anticipated 3. For me the Dominican Republic means . . . a country where people are “faceless” Missionary Note: In the Dominican Republic due to a multiplicity of ethnic races and backgrounds the “faceless doll” represents the people as a whole 4. The people I will miss are . . . the families that took time away from their busy schedules to show us a perfect mix of the island 5. The things that I will miss are . . . papaya, pineapple and coconut 6. The things I will be happy to leave behind are . . . dangerous driving 7. When leaving a place I usually . . . write about my experiences so that I can reflect on the visit 8. The easiest point of leaving for me will be . . . 9. Before I leave I really want to . . . enjoy the warm sunshine 10. I feel that my goals/expectations have been . . . met plus more 11. The most stressful part of leaving will be . . . flying EXPECTATIONS 1. I think the return home will be . . . welcoming 2. I expect the reception from my family will be . . . joyful, loving 3. I anticipate my church to be . . . involved with Easter and inquisitive about everything on the trip 4. I picture my friends to be . . . ready to hear my stories 5. I expect my family to . . . continue to grow in Christ’s love, strength and courage 6. I hope my church will . . . plan a mission here 7. I think my friends will be . . . amazed that I took this journey 8. I am looking forward to . . . seeing my family at home RETURNING 1. When I think of returning to the United States, I feel . . . excited and happy to see my husband and daughter Sheri 2. I will be going back to . . . reality - foreclosures and devastated families Missionary Note: Jean is a realtor and the U.S. economy has effected the market on the Cape very much. 3. Going back will enable me to . . . have a bigger heart 4. Regarding money, I will be . . . giving - knowing where my mission pledge is going! 5. I think the hardest part of going back for me will be . . . trying to explain all I’ve learned 6. I think the easiest part of going back will be . . . driving w/o looking for cars without headlights at night 7. I cannot wait to . . . talk to Pastor Ben to share the experience COUPLES AND FAMILIES 1. When I talk to my spouse about leaving he . . . said “What could you do there?” 2. When I talk to my children about leaving they . . . were surprised - luckily one decided to join me 3. I think for my children, leaving will be . . . open to anything Julie Durgin - Jean's daughter LEAVING 1. When I think of leaving, I feel . . . accomplishment - knowing what a life changing experience this was 2. My experience here has been . . . absolutely amazing, an eye-opener as to how many beautifully different people are in other places in the world 3. For me the Dominican Republic means . . . important relationships with families and friendly people 4. The people I will miss are . . . all the Franklins, Wesley and especially the children. I will miss Pastor Victor and Wilson also. 5. The things that I will miss are . . . the mountains, the views, working for the church here 6. The things I will be happy to leave behind are . . . the relationships with the people I connected with, yet I will miss this also 7. When leaving a place I usually . . . feel upset when I am on the plane, thinking how I will miss everything, but then I think how it will change me when I return home 8. The easiest point of leaving for me will be . . . knowing I;m leaving with a positive change in my life 9. Before I leave I really want to . . . take in and enjoy the atmosphere 10. I feel that my goals/expectations have been . . . accomplished, but I tried coming with no expectations 11. The most stressful part of leaving will be . . . getting through security and waiting for the plane to arrive EXPECTATIONS 1. I think the return home will be . . . enjoyable to see familiar faces 2. I expect the reception from my family will be . . . a fun easter day 3. I anticipate my church to be . . . taken even more seriously, I think I will try and make more friends there 4. I picture my friends to be . . . different, most of them, I won’t see till summer 5. I expect my family to . . . very happy 6. I hope my church will . . . plan a big mission here 7. I think my friends will be . . . very different from me 8. I am looking forward to . . . seeing if things changed or not RETURNING 1. When I think of returning to the United States, I feel . . . uncertain of the mixes of changed lives after a week of being away from everyone 2. I will be going back to . . . cape cod for a day and then back to Bridgewater State College 3. Going back will enable me to . . . be a more loving person 4. Regarding money, I will be . . . more conservative 5. I think the hardest part of going back for me will be . . . missing here and the people here 6. I think the easiest part of going back will be . . . reuniting with family and certain friends I am comfortable with 7. I cannot wait to . . . get off the plane

No comments: